Unplug and unwind to look after your mental health and wellbeing!
Are you ready to take on the HS Screen-Free Challenge? Turning off devices and focusing on different activities can really boost your mood and improve your mental and physical health. Reducing your screen time can also:
- Reduce headaches
- Help you sleep better
- Improve your concentration and focus
- Give you more free time for fun!
See how many of these challenges you can complete to give your body and mind a much-needed break from your phone, laptop, tablet, or TV…
CHALLENGE 1 – RELAXING EVENING
Can you go a full evening and night without using a single screen? Go screen-free from 6pm until bedtime – turn off the TV, mute your phone and shut down your computer or laptop. Avoiding screens before bed helps you to unwind and get ready for sleep.
Try this instead:
- A walk with friends
- Warm, relaxing bath
- Reading a book
CHALLENGE 2 – TWO-HOUR WINDOW
Set yourself a limit of only using screens for two hours in a day. It’s up to you when you choose to use your screens – it might be easier in the evening when you want to catch up with friends or need to do some homework. Will you be able to avoid using screens for the other 22 hours of the day?
Resist screen temptation by:
- Giving your phone to someone else for safekeeping
- Getting outdoors with friends or family
- Keeping busy with a book or listening to music
CHALLENGE 3 – FACETIME IRL
Swap out your usual FaceTime or video calling for an actual face-to-face catch-up with a friend or family member. Leave your phone at home and enjoy meeting and chatting with zero distractions.
- Make this a weekly thing – it’s good to talk!
- Treat yourselves to a takeaway drink and walk while you chat
- Invite along a friend who may be going through a tough time
CHALLENGE 4 – GO OLD-SCHOOL
Our phones are cameras, calculators, video cameras, music players and libraries, all rolled into one. It’s no wonder we rely on them so much. Get back to basics by using an actual calculator, picking up a book or playing records, rather than using your phone.
More old-school swaps:
- Write a letter, instead of messaging a mate
- Dig out a recipe book, instead of searching online
- Use an actual map to plan a route, rather than Google Maps
CHALLENGE 5 – 24 HOURS GOAL
This is the trickiest challenge of them all – go screen-free for a full 24 hours! Can you manage a whole day and night? You’ve got this. We believe in you!
Achieve your goal by:
- Making plans with friends to pass the time
- Pre-planning screen-free activities – you can find more ideas in our Five Screen Free Swaps article
- Removing screens from your room to remove any temptation!
WHAT’S YOUR #SCREENFREESTRENGTH?
You can attempt as many or as few of these challenges as you like. Try them over a few days or spread them out over the week – it’s up to you.
Challenge accepted? Let’s go!