Shimmy and shake your socks off to beat the blues and boost those feel-good vibes!
Can you really dance your troubles away? Not completely, no, but letting loose and dancing freely can go a long way to making you feel a whole lot better! Don’t worry if your dance moves aren’t TikTok perfect – this performance is for you and you alone!
Why Is Dancing Good For You?
We all know dancing is great for our physical health: it improves balance, keeps us fit and challenges our bodies to move in all sorts of different ways. But did you know that dancing is also really beneficial to our mental health? It’s been shown to improve mood and reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
Joining a dance class can also be a good way to make new friends. Why not check out what your local area or school has to offer? Most towns and cities have all kinds of dance classes you can join, from street and samba to ballet and tap!
Can I Dance At Home?
Of course! You don’t have to join a dance class to enjoy the benefits of dancing – you can do it from the comfort of your own home! You can dance alone or with a friend or sibling. Clear a space in your bedroom or living room, put on your favourite music and let loose!
I’m Terrible At Dancing…
Don’t worry about it! You don’t have to be the next Strictly winner or a prima ballerina to strike a pose. Dancing for mental health is all about letting your body move and enjoying the freedom it brings, not about the skills or nailing a particular move.
Lose yourself in the music and let go. If you’re feeling embarrassed, try dancing with your eyes closed (but be careful!) or turn any mirrors away if you don’t want to see your reflection while you dance.
You really can dance however you want to but if you’re looking for more ideas, why not check out TikTok and try to recreate some of the viral dances you see? There are also lots of really good dance tutorials on YouTube or you can take our fun dance challenge below and get a friend involved for the ultimate feel-good dance-off!
You will need:
- A friend
- Scrap paper and a pen
What to do:
- Write the numbers 1-6 on six separate pieces of paper.
- Fold the papers up and place them in a bowl.
- Take it in turns to choose a piece of paper from the bowl to pick the dance challenge.
- Match the number to the challenge and get ready for a dance-off! The most important thing is to move and have fun!
- Yee-haw! Dance like a cowboy and mosey on down to the dancefloor.
- Choose a dance challenge from TikTok and see who can do it best!
- Seeing double! Move and dance together as if you are mirror images.
- Rock it out! Who has the best air guitar moves?
- Watch a music video and recreate the dance moves!
- Swirl and twirl in your best impersonation of a ballerina.