Struggling to catch those zzzzs? Read our snoozy tips to help you get a good night’s sleep…
“Most of us spend one-third of our lives asleep, but not all of us sleep well. The amount of time we sleep and the quality of the sleep we get on a nightly basis can lead to tiredness and fatigue, the effects of which can filter into all aspects of daily life, affecting our emotions, our ability to focus on daily tasks, appetite, relationships and memory recall.” The Art of Sleeping, Rob Hobson.
Why Is Sleep So Important?
We know that sleep is really important for our mental and physical health. We also know that we need around 8-10 hours of sleep every night to give our bodies the chance to fully rest and regenerate, ready for the next day.
Sleep is especially important for teens who are still growing and maturing. We need these precious hours of quality snoozing to reach our full potential. If you’re having trouble falling asleep, we’ve got some top tips for sleep success.
Ready, Steady, Snooze!
There are lots of things you can do to improve your sleep. You can:
- Swap out the caffeine after midday for herbal tea or a warm glass of milk.
- Reduce your screen time and remove your TV, mobile or tablet from your bedroom. This removes the temptation to talk with your friends late into the night or to scroll through Insta until the sun comes up.
- Create a cosy bedroom that invites sleep. Make it comfy with scatter cushions and blankets and keep the room dark and quiet.
- Avoid eating late at night as this can disrupt your sleep. Instead, aim to have a healthy supper a couple of hours before bed.
- Get some exercise, every day. Try to get outside for a spell – fresh air and daylight can help you to establish a good sleep pattern.
- Take a warm bath and set the lighting low to help you unwind.
The best way to prepare your mind and body for sleep is to have a good bedtime routine. Try to go to bed at the same time every night and give yourself plenty of time to wind down at the end of the evening. Calm your mind with a book or try meditation to ease any worries and ready your mind for sleep.
Have you got a million thoughts tumbling through your mind, making it almost impossible to switch off? Instead of tossing and turning for hours on end, get yourself up and find a quiet, dark place to sit or keep a notepad and pen beside your bed. Write down the things that are keeping you awake and get them out of your head and onto the paper. This can really help to soothe your anxieties and clear your mind.
Still Can’t Sleep?
With all the will in the world, sometimes we just can’t switch off and fall asleep. Keeping a sleep diary is a great way to pinpoint the cause of your restless night. You can start to see patterns emerge and figure out what’s keeping you awake at night.
The Art of Sleeping by Rob Hobson is filled with helpful tips and an evening and morning diary, designed to help you work out exactly what’s keeping your sweet dreams at bay. You can also download free sleep diary templates online.
Start a new sleep journey today for a better, healthier you!
Wondering why you can’t sleep? Maybe energy drinks are causing some issues?
For more help to get a good night’s sleep: