Celebrate World Hello Day with us!
Today is World Hello Day and the idea is very simple: it’s a day to celebrate communication and how important it is for people to have friendly, peaceful interactions. To participate, all you have to do is greet 10 people throughout your day. You could:
- Wave a friendly hand at a passing neighbour
- Greet your friendly postman
- Say “hello” to the bus driver
- Text a friend you haven’t seen in a while
- Call up a family member for a chat
- Meet up with a mate
For some of us, making conversation can be incredibly daunting. It can even cause severe anxiety and stress. That’s why we’re here to help you master the skill of small talk with our top tips:
- Make eye-contact, if you can, and smile. A smile goes a long way and makes you look friendly, relaxed and approachable.
- Have a few topic ideas in mind – basically, things you could talk about it if the conversation stalls. This can help to keep the conversation flowing and make you feel more confident.
- If you’re feeling overwhelmed or panic, try asking the other person a question to give yourself breathing space and time to think.
- Practice in the mirror. Try out your skills in the comfort and safety of your own home. You’ll feel more relaxed and comfortable when you can try out your conversing skills without judgement.
Finding the confidence to communicate can take time and a lot of practice so be kind to yourself. Click here to find more helpful advice on how to make small talk and hold a conversation.
It’s perfectly normal to feel flustered or at a loss for words from time to time – we all experience this in life. However, if you’re worried that your social skills are seriously holding you back or making life difficult, please talk to your doctor and ask for help.